Clean up & Waste Disposal
Estimated Total Time: 10 minutes
Summary: Many people use the lab. Good lab hygiene is a must!
Electrical, 3D Printer, Laser Cutter, and other non-chemical/biological waste
- Resistors and capacitors are to be thrown in the electronic waste container - they sell for less than a $0.01; It would be more problematic finding the wrong component in a drawer.
- Return all semi-conductors: LEDs, diodes, and active components (op-amps, voltage regulators, etc)
- Wires are to be thrown in the black electronic waste container; however, if you have a locker in the lab, you may wish to save the wires for later use.
- Return all equipment (eg. wire cutters, pliers, power supplies, & soldering irons) and breadboards.
- Return all cables and accessories (ie. banana cables, alligator clips, and alligator cables)
- Dead batteries can be thrown in the battery recycling bin on the laser cutter materials bin next to location 152.
- Throw all laser cutter waste or old MDF and acrylic prototypes into the grey Laser Cutter waste bin near the laser cutter.
- 3D printing material (PLA) can be placed in the regular recycling bins.
- Pens and markers can be thrown in the pen & marker recycling bin at the entrance of the lab
Chemical & Biological
SAFETY: Wear appropriate PPE at all times. You are handling waste.
- Put all equipment and extra supplies in their designated locations (Locations on General Inventory List).
- Remove all labeling tape from glass/plasticware.
- Wash all glassware and containers used, and hang them from the racks above the sinks.
- Replace all reagents in their proper locations.
- Wipe down all used surfaces with a 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Solution.
- Dispose of waste, hazardous and non-hazardous.
- Consult Lab Staff if unsure about any of the above.
The Waste Pathway:
The laboratory disposes of waste in many separate ways. Each type of waste is classified by the risks it poses, and is disposed of in a manner commensurate with said risk. Therefore, this is what you do:
- GLOVES, PAPER TOWELS, KIMWIPES, PAPER WRAPPERS, MAY ALL GO INTO THE REGULAR TRASH.
- GELS FROM ELECTROPHORESES MUST BE WRAPPED IN SARAN WRAP, WHEREUPON THEY CAN BE THROWN INTO THE TRASH.
- IF IN DOUBT, ASK!
See the EHRS link for more details on waste disposal.