Laser Cutter Training
Before you can get access to the laser cutter in the lab, you first need to be in a Bioengineering class which requires laser cutting as defined by the Lab Director. Next, you will need to create a fully colored DWG file.
Note: This procedure is identical to that used by MEAM. If there is a discrepancy, please let the Bioengineering Lab Staff know immediately. You can use your object drawing to gain access to MEAM's RPL lab.
- Use SolidWorks to create a model for this shape. You must add a couple of other things to your part. Use Arial font with 18 point size to:
1. Write your Full First Name centered on the top left-hand corner, 0.5'' away from the top edge and your Full Last Name in the bottom left-hand corner, 0.25'' from the bottom edge.
2. Write your PennCard Number centered on the top right-hand corner, 0.5'' away from the top edge.
3. Centered underneath your PennCard Number, put your Penn Card Version. This is the two digit number following your ID number and should generally start with a '0'.
4. Write your PennCard Expiration Date centered on the bottom right-hand corner, 0.25'' away from the bottom edge. Note: Expiration date is NOT the day that you will be attending the cutting session, or "today's" date...
- Once you are done with your model, convert it into a 2D file.
Use the following color code:
1. Set the outline of your shape to RED
2. Set your name and PennCard info to YELLOW
3. Create a GREEN hatch for the raster area in the middle
- In the end, your DWG file should look like this image.
- Review the "BE Labs Laser Cutter Usage" Document.
- Save the file on to a flash drive or to your Penn Engineering Google Drive (NOT S DRIVE) and go to the lab during normal or extended hours (with your flash drive or SEAS Google Drive). Request the lab staff (wearing green quarter-zips) that you would like your training object cut on the laser cutter. Lab Staff will confirm that you have reviewed the laser cut usage document - if your knowledge seems lacking, you will be asked to review the document and return later.
- When you complete the training, Lab staff will enter your information into the laser cutter access list.